European regulation n° 1169 /2011, also known as the INCO regulation, establishes rules regarding the provision of food information to consumers, allowing the final consumer to get access to basic information such as the nutritional declaration or the list of ingredients. In order to facilitate the understanding of these information, other forms of expression and presentation or voluntary food information may be provided in addition to the mandatory nutrition declaration according to articles 35 to 37 of the INCO regulation.
Following a request from the French Ministry of Health, Santé publique France created a front of pack nutrition labelling system: the Nutri-Score which can be affixed by producers on their products on a voluntary basis. Nutri-Score was developed to facilitate consumers’ understanding of the nutritional information and thus to help them in making informed choices.
Nutri-Score has been first implemented in France in 2017, based on work by the team of Pr Serge Hercberg* as well as a expertise from the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (ANSES) and the High Council for Public Health (HCSP). Since then several countries decided to recommend the label: Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.
You can read all scientific articles about Nutri-Score here.
What is Nutri-Score about?
- A front-of-pack label that informs about the nutritional quality of a product, in a simplified and complementary way with the mandatory nutritional statement (as stated in the INCO Regulation)
- Based on a five-color nutritional scale: from dark green to dark orange
- Associated with letters , from A to E, to optimize the logo accessibility and understanding by the consumer
How are the points attributed?
The logo is attributed according to the calculation of a single and overall score that takes into account for every 100 gr or 100 mL of food product:
- the amount of nutrients that should be limited: energy, saturated fatty acid, sugars, salt;
- the amount of nutrients and foods that should be encouraged (fibers, proteins, fruits, vegetables, pulse, nuts, and rapeseed, walnut and olive oils).
Obtaining the right to use the logo
The usage right for Nutri-Score is granted for free. Companies wishing to use the Nutri-Score must be registered on one of the following procedures:
- For brands distributed on the French market, exclusively or otherwise, who wishes to use the logo, the Industry actor must register on the following website: https://www.demarches-simplifiees.fr/commencer/enregistrement_nutri-score.
- For brands distributed exclusively outside of France, the Industry actor must register on the following website: https://www.demarches-simplifiees.fr/commencer/registration-for-brands-distributed-abroad-only.
The registration includes:
- identification of the requester and its business;
- the details by brand of categories of products concerned by the use of the logo;
- the commitment to use the logo for all products that they have on the market under the registered mark(s);
- the requester’s commitment to adhere to the Usage Regulation.
An electronic receipt of acknowledgment of the registration will be sent to the Industry actor together with the files allowing the use of the logo. No validation from Santé publique France is required. The logo can be used immediately after the email reception.
- Usage Regulation for the Nutri-Score logo (in English / in French) and appendices:
- Appendix 2 : Graphic Charter (in English / in French)
- Appendix 4 (available here): documentation to be provided to the French Food Quality Observatory (Oqali) via this link. It only applies to brands distributed in France (exclusively or otherwise). The transmission of this file must be done only via this website, and not by email.
- a scientific and technical Q&A (in English / in French)
- a table (in English / in French) to calculate the nutritional score of the products (this file should not be sent to Oqali).
The relevant authorities of France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland announce the establishment of a transnational coordination mechanism to facilitate the use of the front-of-pack nutrition label Nutri-Score. This cooperation will take place within a Steering committee and a Scientific committee.
The Steering committee held its first meeting on the 25th of January 2021. The Steering committee will coordinate the implementation and the rollout of the Nutri-Score system. The committee brings together representatives from national authorities in charge of the Nutri-Score implementation in each country. Its very purpose is to ease the use of Nutri-Score by food business operators, to reach out to small businesses and to link with the consumers, by implementing efficient and common procedures.
The Scientific committee had its first meeting on the 12th of February 2021. Its task will be to assess the possible evolutions of the Nutri-Score system for better health of the consumers, including the synergy with dietary guidelines.
- International Scientific Committee in charge of coordinating the scientific-based update of the Nutri-Score in the context of its European expansion (mandate)
- International commitment of participating countries of Nutri-Score (General agreement & governance structure)
For further information
- About the score calculation, the graphic Charter and the ownership of the logo, please contact one of these e-mail address, depending on your case :
- About the file to be provided to Oqali, please contact email@example.com. We would like to remind you that the transmission of the appendix 4 should not be done by sending it to this email address, but only via this link.
* Serge Hercberg, President of the French Nutrition and Health Programme (PNNS) and Head of the Nutritional Epidemiology Research Team of the U1153 Inserm/Inra/Cnam/UP13