Can morels (Morchella sp.) induce a toxic neurological syndrome ?

Publié le 1 Mai 2010
Mis à jour le 5 juillet 2019

INTRODUCTION: Several cases of morel poisoning associated with neurological symptoms have been reported. The objective of this study was to describe this new mushroom poisoning syndrome. MATERIAL AND METHODS: Retrospective study of morel poisonings collected in the French Poison Control Centers from 1976 to 2006. Cases were classified as neurological syndrome (NS; tremor or dizziness/inebriation or unsteadiness/ataxia +/- associated with gastrointestinal symptoms) or isolated gastrointestinal syndrome. RESULTS: 146 patients presented gastrointestinal syndrome (median time to onset: 5 h) and 129 presented NS (12 h) after morel consumption. Gastrointestinal (67%) and other neurological symptoms were also present (mainly ocular/vision disorders: 26%, paresthesia: 7%,drowsiness/confusion: 6%, and muscle disorders: 6%). These patients more frequently ingested a large quantity of morels. Confusion with Gyromitra was ruled out. DISCUSSION: The NS is very different from the common gastrointestinal syndrome occurring after ingestion of poorly cooked morels and is not limited to a cerebellar syndrome. (R.A.)

Auteur : Saviuc P, Harry P, Pulce C, Garnier R, Cochet A
Clin Toxicol, 2010, vol. 48, n°. 4, p. 365-72